Business Unit: Research in Digitalization and Automation
Requisition Number: 242192
Primary Location: United States-New Jersey-Princeton
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: None
Travel Required: No
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies and the business models developed from them have been the foundation of Siemens‘ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with our global network of experts, we are a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units and provide important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. Our support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with our own future-oriented research.
We at Corporate Technology are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Summer Intern: R&D Intern –Robotics& Interoperability
Are you ready to make a difference and create the Future of Automation?
We are looking for a motivated R&D Intern who would like to be part of a dynamic team located in Berkeley, CA, and Princeton, NJ. In this research group, we shape the innovation roadmap towards the advanced manufacturing of the future; in collaboration with technology startups, leading academic institutions and government agencies. We are a team of automation-enthusiasts, innovators, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who are passionate about disruptive technologies in the areas of Machine Learning, Simulation, Engineering, Control, and Optimization. Our deliverables enable the successful transformation of the technology trends in Automation & Control into the business of the future for a multitude of customer products and services.
What are my responsibilities?
- You will contribute to research project focused on enabling interoperability between robots and automation equipment.
- You will collaborate and exchange ideas with experts in the fields of robotics, ROS, standards such DDS, OPC-UA.
- You will implement concepts and solutions in prototypes
What skills are needed to qualify for the job?
- Enrolled in a graduate program in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
- Prior experience in robotics, embedded systems and automation systems.
- Experience with industrial IoT connectivity frameworks such as DDS, OPC-UA and their application on robotics and automation systems.
- Experience with Siemens PLM tools such as Process Simulate and/or MindSphere.
- Experience with ROS and its variants such as ROS2 and ROS-Industrial.
- Proven experience executing tasks on fast paced research projects.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in English required.
- Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams.
- Hands-on coding skills and ability to quickly prototype in C++. Further experience in Scripting languages such as Python is a plus.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#