Business Unit: Digital Factory (DF)
Requisition Number: 243074
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthcare and Financial Services.
The Siemens Digital Factory Division offers a comprehensive portfolio of seamlessly integrated hardware, software and technology-based services in order to support manufacturing companies worldwide in enhancing the flexibility and efficiency of their manufacturing processes and reducing the time to market of their products.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/digital-factory.htm
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Research and Technology Manager
Interested in building a team to apply AI technologies in real-world industrial applications? Than this is the right position for you.
This position drives innovation projects across the whole Siemens Digital Industries company using artificial intelligence (AI) and autonomous systems technologies. It identifies AI use cases in engineering, automation and production together with the business units. Moreover, the position identifies, hires and develops the appropriate resources. The position embodies a hands-on startup mentality with a manager working within the team and leading technical projects. Finally, the position fosters collaborations with top universities and startups.
This position leads a new agile team of Technology & Innovations department of Siemens Digital Industries.
· Application of AI technologies (in particular reinforcement learning) to real-world problems in industrial use cases (e.g. automation, robotics, engineering)
· Setup and develop the team to ensure the required competences
· Investigation of the latest AI technologies and assessment of their benefits.
· Coordinate the implementation of proofs of concept and transfer of results to product development.
· Work with business unit colleagues/domain experts (e.g. product managers, business development, architects) to identify AI use cases and understand requirements.
· Coordinate collaboration with Siemens colleagues on site (e.g. corporate technology, AI experts of the business units)
· Presentation of results and success stories to top management.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or Physics required.
· 5+ years of proven experience by leading projects in Artificial Intelligence and/or industrial automation required.
· Strong technical background in AI technologies required, in particular reinforcement learning (proven by publication track record, recognition in research community or concrete projects)
· Leadership skills to grow and develop a research group. Proven experience as successful manager of small and medium sized teams is a plus.
· Proven experience in generating project proposals, collaborating with others, and delivering results.
· Existing network with universities and startups in the Berkeley region is a plus.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in English (verbal & written).