Business Unit: Diagnostics
Requisition Number: 243406
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Now’s our time to inspire the future of healthcare together.
Siemens Healthineers is a leading global medical technology company with over 170 years of experience and 18,000 patents. More than 48,000 dedicated colleagues in over 70 countries are driven to shape the future of healthcare. We stand with our customers around the world to support them in delivering high quality care to their patients. An estimated 5 million patients across the globe benefit every day from our innovative technologies and services in the areas of diagnostic and therapeutic imaging, laboratory diagnostics and molecular medicine, as well as digital health and enterprise services. This is what truly matters to us.
Siemens Healthineers are currently seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to contribute to new platform development within their Molecular Diagnostics Business. Contributions are expected at the individual level. The candidate must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment. She or he must be capable of integrating requirements from the various stakeholders and have ability to balance the needs of cost, quality and time-to-market.
This role will work to understand, develop, troubleshoot and improve multiple systems/steps in a molecular diagnostics platform. This system will take a variety of input sample types, extract relevant biological material, run a PCR test on the material, and analyze resulting data. The system engineer will participate in the design and architecture development of sample preparation and the PCR modules of the platform. They will be responsible for assessment of the functionality, reliability and usability of the automated modules. This includes development of test strategies, implementation and validation to ensure compliance to product requirements. They are expected to develop an in-depth understanding of the system and its variability through hands-on and theoretical work. The engineer will support the development of detailed requirements, engineering specifications, verification and validation, as well as support the regulatory submissions of these devices.
The candidate must have the necessary background and work experience in systems engineering of multi-disciplinary products. Background in engineering (mechanical engineering, chemical, electrical, optical or biomedical engineering) and/or biochemical practice (molecular biology) to inform hands-on work and modelling are needed. A basic understanding of PCR and purification of nucleic acid for analysis of biological samples is required. Proficiency in using software tools like Python, C, Matlab or R for analysis and simulation is needed. Any relevant experience in scientific instrument automation is a plus. Experience with image processing and signal analysis is a plus.
Additional Skills Sought.
- Ability to understand scientific and systems-level engineering questions and propose and deliver data-driven solutions to complex problems.
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Self-driven and creative team player, with strong startup mentality.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills and be willing to learn on the job.
- Design experiments using DOE methodology and analyses of results using statistical tools.
• Performs analysis, evaluation and planning for methods of approach, and organizes means to achieve the solution to complex problems.
• Designs and participates in investigations pertaining to the development of new designs, methods, materials, or processes and investigates possible application of results.
• Contributes to and may lead the development of reports, charts, graphs, and other documents and makes recommendations.
• Authors and submits experimental reports, analysis and specifications.
• Develops specifications and directions to team members, suppliers, outside consultants and development partners.
Experience Level: entry level to 3 years with an advanced degree (MS, PhD) or 3-5 years of work experience with a 4-year or equivalent degree.
As an equal-opportunity employer we are happy to consider applications from individuals with disabilities
At Siemens Healthineers, we value those who dedicate their energy and passion to a greater cause.
Our people make us unique as an employer in the med-tech industry. What unites and motivates our global team is the inspiration of our common purpose: To innovate for healthcare, building on our remarkable legacy of pioneering ideas that translate into even better healthcare products and services. We recognize that taking ownership of our work allows both us and the company to grow. We offer you a flexible and dynamic environment and the space to move beyond your comfort zone to grow both personally and professionally.
If you want to join us in transforming the way healthcare is delivered, visit our career site at https://usa.healthcare.siemens.com/careers.
If you wish to find out more about the specific before applying, please visit: https://usa.healthcare.siemens.com/about.