Business Unit: Software
Requisition Number: 243740
Primary Location: United States-Ohio-Milford
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 10%
In this position, you will support software build, Quality Control and Quality Assurance (QA/QC) for the Simcenter Nastran application. You will report to the Software Engineering Manager for the Dynamics, Numerical Methods, and Development Operations Team. You will be part of the Nastran Development Operations group, whose focus is on building Simcenter Nastran, and ensuring that Nastran continues to produce correct answers to difficult engineering problems. Your focus will be on metrics and KPIs that provide insight into the status and overall health of the build and test process. In the long run, you will be expected to contribute to improvements in the process, and to increasing its level of automation. It is important that you effectively leverage your past experience in build and test automation in this role.
Your primary responsibilities will be to (1) ensure the DevOps team, development teams, and management have easy access to timely and informative data on the state of the build and test system; (2) help ensure the efficient operation of Nastran builds and testing across several configurations and OSes; (3) consult with Nastran management and developers on improvements to development tools and QA processes, and help implement agreed improvements.
This position requires minimal travel. Current U.S. work authorization preferred.
• Build deep understanding of the processes and technologies underpinning the Nastran build and test system
• Understand the KPIs and other metrics currently used to track build & test system status
• Propose and build consensus on improving the quality and quantity of system metrics
• Agree new and modified system dashboards based on system metrics with management and development teams
• Work with colleagues in the DevOps team to build your proposed build & test data pipeline
• Use and customize open-source and COTS tools for collecting and presenting dashboard of system metrics
• Use and improve automated systems for software build and test
• Use a task-based job runner (Celery/RabbitMQ)
• Understand build, compile, and testing processes for Nastran, a complex application written in Fortran, C, and C++, on both Windows and Linux platforms.
• Provide guidance and undertake efforts to simplify and improve build and test system reliability
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering or another heavily technical program
• Two to five years’ experience in the build and testing of Enterprise software applications
• Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
• Self-starter, comfortable iterating to a good solution despite uncertainty
• Strong problem-solving skills. Strong analytical mind.
• Experience using common dashboarding tools (e.g. Bokeh, Dash/Plotly)
• Experience improving continuous integration pipelines (Jenkins, Maven CI, Travis CI, etc.)
• Facility with Source Code Management systems (Perforce, Git)
• Thorough knowledge of fundamental quality assurance concepts and best practices
• Use of VM resources in build and test environments
• Python and/or Perl scripting
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
• Building and testing on both Windows and Linux Operating Systems
• Proven ability to execute in a customer focused environment and advocate for quality
• Basic understanding of finite-precision mathematics and error estimation
• Design and use of Container (e.g. Docker) resources in build and test environments
• Design of cloud-based CI environments