Business Unit: Rolling Stock
Requisition Number: 244004
Primary Location: United States-California-Sacramento
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
Committed to the safe and reliable transportation of people and goods by rail and road, Siemens Mobility designs and manufactures across the entire spectrum of rolling stock, including commuter and regional passenger trains, light rail and streetcars, metros, locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trainsets. In the U.S., Siemens is providing rail vehicles, locomotives, components and systems to more than 25 agencies in cities such as D.C., New York, Boston, Sacramento, San Diego, and St. Louis.
For more information, please visit:
At Siemens Mobility we live and nurture an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, self-direct their teams and innovate to succeed.
As part of Siemens Mobility, the Rolling Stock Division (RS) employs approximately nearly 1200 employees in Sacramento, CA and is part of the Siemens Mobility global Rail Systems Division
The RS product offerings include light rail vehicles, electric and diesel-electric locomotives, passenger coaches, and high-speed trains. Core manufacturing processes include extensive carshell welding activities, bogie fabrication and assembly, electrical subassembly, finishing and paint, and final assembly.
As an Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer your primary responsibility will be to drive the continuous improvement of safety, schedule, and budget adherence through the use of Lean Manufacturing principles both on the production floor and during the production planning phases. Working with the production core team members, you will lead the team in technical problem solving for topics including standard and non-standard work, tooling, material flow, safety, engineering drawings and BOMs, and process improvements.
- Reviewing engineering drawings, 3D engineering models using Pro-E or PTC Creo to gain an understanding of manufacturing process requirements such as job sequence, workflow, and takt time.
- Defining key production work steps, sequences, and durations and setting up work scope per station or per cell basis.
- Generating and Improving Material Flow Paths and Logistical needs for each Production Work Order both in an MRP system and on the production floor (Material Handling).
- Preparing future production floor layouts to meet planned takt time and schedule.
- Preparing Standardized work instructions
- Setting up stations with proper fixtures, templates (drilling, small components, mounting), tooling, and equipment
- Development of detailed specifications for jigs and fixtures for manufacturing processes using takt time, capacity calculations, engineering product design, and sourcing jigs and fixtures from vendors.
- Leading manufacturing improvements, complex process changes, and technology changes including developing a core team, assigning / reporting to a steering committee, projecting efforts involved with implementation, and identifying impacts by generating and presenting ROI Calculations.
- Providing critical process control guidance to production, maintenance, and quality control to improve the dimensional accuracy and overall quality of our products.
- Coordinating and communicating technical information to and from all levels of the organization including vendors, project managers, production team members, and operations managers.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- 3 Years’ Experience in a Manufacturing Environment
- Bachelors Degree in relevant field
- Firm project management skills, including developing project plans, timelines / schedules, budgets, proposed layouts, resource requirements, calculating ROI, etc.
- Practical knowledge and experience in the implementation of the lean tool box.
- A history of “hands-on” approach to problem solving and countermeasure implementation within own areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated understanding of tooling and fixtures design for manufacturing and its impact to dimensional accuracy, quality, and takt time. (Poke Yoke)
- Proficiency in Pro-E, PTC Creo, Solidworks or Equivalent 3D CAD modeling software.
- Experience using different types of bills of materials between engineering and production.
- A history of driving projects in a very dynamic low volume start up production environment
- Required travel is 5 %
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Vehicle production in welding or assembly processes (e.g. rail, aviation, naval, heavy equipment).
- Work experience in the rail business, preferably in light rail, heavy rail, or related production, is needed.
- 5 plus years of experience planning and supporting launch of new product lines in low speed production environment
- Knowledge of SAP or similar MRP / ERP systems is highly desired.
- One or more certification (or equivalent coursework) in the following fields- Six Sigma Black Belt, Lean Certification, OSHA Safety, Certified Manufacturing engineer, Supply Management, EIT, or Professional Engineering License
- Practical experience in Customer Service / Maintenance / After Market businesses and technologies within the rail industry is highly preferred.
- Practical experience utilizing and implementing lean methods and tools such as 5s, 7 Types of Waste (Muda), root cause analysis and corrective actions, Yamazumi Methods, Kanban, Value Stream Mapping / Process Flow Diagrams, ABC-XYZ Analysis, and Lean Shop Floor Management Model.
- Practical experience training others on Lean topics, facilitating Lean improvement activities, Kaizen, Root Cause-Corrective Actions, 5S events, etc. ability to promote Lean in Production, Lean in Quality, and Lean in Office.
- Practical experience using complex Factory Planning Methods such as defining high level manufacturing plans, identifying / analyzing new technologies required, creating a value stream analysis, performing total space needs analysis, performing total capacity needs analysis, implementation planning, etc. preferred.
- Practical experience developing technology roadmaps for a range of automation.
- Bi-lingual German and English is a plus.
- Bi-Lingual Spanish and English is a plus.