Business Unit: Service
Requisition Number: 245363
Primary Location: United States-Puerto Rico-Santa Isabel
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Associate's Degree / College Diploma
Travel Required: 15%
Wind Service Technician
Wind Turbine Technician for Santa Isabel Wind Farm in Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico, installs, inspect, troubleshoot and repair wind turbines and turbine internal and external components such as programmable controllers, gearboxes, drive components, structural components, electronic equipment and electrical components. The technician reviews related manuals, blueprints and schematic diagrams to determine the tasks, tools, equipment and parts needed to maintain a highly automated system.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform routine mechanical and electrical maintenance on Siemens Gamesa wind turbine and associated equipment
- Climb wind turbine towers daily, wearing all required safety equipment, to inspect, maintain, or repair equipment.
- Work closely with Site O&M Manager on a daily basis to maintain fleet availability, which includes trouble shooting and repair on any portion of the electrical and mechanical equipment used in wind generators
· Perform commissioning tasks of wind turbines following OEM specifications
· Adhere to quality and safety standards of company's guidelines
· Perform warranty repairs, operations and maintenance of wind turbines
· Evaluate multiple fault records to increase mean time between failures
· Troubleshoot circuits and operate electrical control systems
· Follow up and audit maintenance and troubleshooting activities to ensure work performed to satisfaction
· Perform climbs of +280 feet to perform annual or semi-annual maintenance, troubleshoot, and repair failures, which may occur, and collect data
· Conduct electronic troubleshooting using wire and block diagram schematics
- Trouble shoot complicated mechanical, hydraulic and electrical problems on variable pitch and variable speed turbines to correct malfunctions
- Perform diagnostic electrical analysis
- Determine correct parts needed for repairs, order parts, process warranty claims, review and implement advisories regarding faulty parts.
- Perform quality control inspections on repairs and maintenance functions provided by maintenance or repair sub-contractors
- Prepare timely and concise reports regarding inspections to insure proper steps are taken to remedy any deficiencies
- Be proactive in regards to wind turbine counter measures or enhancements that may be needed and assist in the development of such procedure’s as required
- Strive to keep maintenance costs low and quality high
- Comply with all Safety policies and procedures and report any violation to the Site Supervisor immediately
- Assist the Site Supervisor in effectively maintaining parts inventory to include initiation or continuance of inventory stock and issuance system for spare parts and defective parts control and communication
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Demonstrates strong Initiative and motivation to learn new technology and translate learning into employee coaching and mentoring; motivation and ability to work flexible work schedule; basic training within electrical, mechanical and hydraulic fields;
· hands-on experience with electro-technical and hydraulic machinery; excellent customer service skills;
· excellent communication skills; ability to organize and plan daily/weekly work with a high level of quality orientation; ability to analyze and resolve problems independent of supervision with a high level of results orientation.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· The successful candidate will have demonstrated results/experience in the following areas: Employee Health & Safety, (technical and nontechnical), Quality, Compliance, Customer Orientation, and Risk Management. This position will have technical and safety responsibility for successful on-site operations, drive continuous process improvements, and hold overall responsibility for site performance Must have experience with electrical systems, rotating equipment,
· Capable of reading and interpreting schematics
· Experience testing
· Strong leadership skills required
· Minimum education requirement is high school completion and related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Must have electrical/mechanical skills.
· Willing and able to learn new skills.
· Basic computer skills, data entry, outlook, etc.
· Ability to think clearly and maintain composure during stressful, dangerous situations; demonstrated quality orientation.
· Renewable Energy Technical or Engineering Degree preferable
· Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
Regularly required to stand, walk, and climb a ladder to extreme heights. Frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. Hearing protection may be recommended and/or required in some areas.