Business Unit: Regional Solutions & Services Americas
Requisition Number: 245542
Primary Location: United States-Texas-Austin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: No
This field-based position provides expertise and knowledge throughout the system or service project lifecycle on site. Utilizing existing tools, standards, and procedures, the Engineering Specialist provides estimating, designing, tracking, start-up and commissioning of standard jobs. This role acts as a technical resource to the team and customer as needed.
- Attends pre-booking meetings to gain knowledge of the sales estimate and project scope.
- Analyzes plans, specifications, and contract to determine system requirements.
- Participates in Design of fire detection and security systems and verifies documentation produced by a Drafter.
- Verifies the sales estimate for equipment requirements and system design and configuration.
- Verifies all labor and equipment costs associated with system projects prepared in the branch.
- Ensures the implementation and utilization of the Engineering Best Practices.
- Develops drawings, wiring diagrams, operating instructions, system programming, sequence of operations and assembly or installation instruction for the installation and commissioning of systems.
- Writes custom software application programming for the microprocessor-based fire, security, and other related systems including systems such as XL3, IXL, INS, SXL, MXL, MXLV, CXL, and XLS.
- Ensures technical accuracy, content, assembly, and coordination of technical submittals to architects, engineers, and authorities having jurisdiction. Maintains records relating to the design, installation, programming, and commissioning of the systems designed.
- Provides technical support to field technicians in solving technical, programming, mechanical, or other problems relating to the commissioning of Life Safety systems.
- Maintains library of technical information and other related data pertaining to all fire codes and standards, other local codes, and all systems available to the branch.
- Provides technical service to customer Fire Safety systems including technical support during the installation and commissioning of new or expanded systems.
- Coordinates with contractors in the process of installation of systems sold by a branch office.
- Performs system commissioning on systems including loading software programs and implementing modifications as necessary. Conducts testing and inspects systems under maintenance agreements.
- Responds and carries out to completion any troubleshooting and repairs to assigned customer systems.
- Ensures company-owned test equipment and installation equipment is in proper working order. Returns equipment in need of repair or calibration to the office in a timely manner.
- Identifies code issues and non-conformance issues. Makes recommendations regarding both systems installations and service contract facilities.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
· Required education: High school diploma, state-recognized GED, or state recognized high school proficiency exam.
- Required experience: Five years of experience in the installation and maintenance of Fire Safety Products.
- Required travel: 10%
- Other requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to read and understand design and construction documents.
- Skilled in the PC applications and in the use of word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to work in a variety of circumstances including climbing ladders, scaffolds, and high-lift equipment as well as working in ducts, crawl spaces, and above ceilings.
- Must be able to differentiate types/colors of wire.
- Must be able to use hand-tools.
- Must be able to carry and move equipment and tools weighing up to 75 pounds unassisted.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s license in good standing, and must be at least 21 years of age in order to participate in the required Siemens vehicle plan
- Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States, and will not require employer-sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Preferred education: A.S. degree in Electronics or related field, or equivalent experience in the installation and maintenance of low voltage electronic systems.
- Other preferences:
- NICET 2 Fire Alarm Certification
- Siemens is a globally diversified engineering powerhouse: an opportunity such as this one can open doors to engineering practices and businesses new to you, preparing you for a great future with potential in so many types of fields—sustainability, energy, medical technologies, to name a few—in almost any location you ever dreamed of exploring.
- Competitive compensation.
- Excellent health, dental, and vision plans with many options from which to choose.
- All employees receive Life Insurance, Short and Long-Term Disability coverage.
- 401k match dollar for dollar up to 6% of gross salary.
- Education and tuition reimbursement programs available.
- Extensive product training and professional career development.
Siemens Smart Infrastructure (SI) is shaping the market for intelligent, adaptive infrastructure for today and the future. It addresses the pressing challenges of urbanization and climate change by connecting energy systems, buildings and industries. SI provides customers with a comprehensive end-to-end portfolio from a single source – with products, systems, solutions and services from the point of power generation all the way to consumption. With an increasingly digitalized ecosystem, it helps customers thrive and communities progress while contributing toward protecting the planet. SI creates environments that care. Siemens Smart Infrastructure has its global headquarters in Zug, Switzerland, and has around 71,000 employees worldwide.