Business Unit: United States
Requisition Number: 245840
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Billerica
Other Locations: United States-New York-New York
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Senior level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 40%
Head of Business Development for Smart Cities Portfolio, New England – Boston, MA
Mobility in the U.S. is in the middle of a technological revolution. As cities and states start to plan for and implement autonomous, electric, connected, and shared mobility infrastructure, they must also manage existing assets: highways, city streets, tunnels, and railway crossings that continue to be hot spots for congestion.
Siemens Intelligent Traffic Solutions is at the forefront of this revolution. Today, we are working with emergency support personnel, city planners, and transportation systems operators not only to manage their existing infrastructure and assets, but also plan for the future. We are applying our knowledge of traffic management to better manage mobility in city centers and in coordination at the regional level. Our projects focus on installing digital and physical infrastructure to help operators know what is happening and where, from tracking buses and trains on their routes, to locating and addressing stalled vehicles, to connecting drivers with important information about road and traffic conditions. We are also working on projects related to connected vehicle solutions (V2I) and to Mobility-as-a-Service – both integral aspects of our increasing focus on Smart Cities Mobility solutions.
It is our belief that a better mobility future hinges on reliable network communications, effective traffic management demand, and a multi-modal transport network, supported by a digital system that promotes Mobility-as-a-Service. We are looking for a forward-thinking, creative, and skilled person to join our Smart Cities team comprised of dedicated business leads and sales application engineers as we continue to grow our presence in the U.S.
The ITS team is recruiting for a Senior Business Development Professional in our Smart Cities Mobility team to be the Head of Smart Cities Business Development, New England Region. This strategic role will support the existing solutions in the Northeast and provide input and Siemens resources to carry out the strategy, business development, sales growth, and project implementation for all ITS activity in the region. This position will report to the Head of Smart Cities Mobility Portfolio. We are actively recruiting candidates to be based in the Boston region, working out of the office in Billerica, MA,
In this role you will be focusing on Advanced Traffic Management Systems and Smart Cities Solutions - including Advanced Traffic Management, Adaptive Traffic Signal Control, Connected Vehicle, and Autonomous Vehicle solutions. Here, you'll be generating opportunities by analyzing and managing customer requirements, developing system design documents, technical narrative, developing complete RFP responses, defining winning strategies, and outlining the benefits of Siemens ITS portfolio specific to the customer requirements. Furthermore, you will be asked to lead project teams during project implementation and guarantee meeting business goals and customer satisfaction by executing complex ITS projects on time and in budget. This role requires thought leadership in the respective solution space, applying professional engineering practice in ITS industry, leadership and communication skills as well as a strong background in customer relationship management, proposal management and project management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Transportation or Electrical Engineering, or equivalent. MBA or M.S. degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in ITS industry working for engineering consultants or government agencies
- Technical understanding of traffic signal control systems, advanced traffic management, adaptive, transit signal priority, and V2I solutions
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) license. PTOE a plus
- Experience in delivering ITS design, integrated corridor management (ICM) and/or traffic operations center projects. PMP certification preferred
- A robust network of customer relationships in the New England region including DOTs in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont, MassPort, city transportation agencies (e.g. City of Boston) and affiliated consultants. Also a plus is a network that includes major cities, counties, transit agencies and departments of transportation, as well as experience working with government clients.
Competencies for this job include:
- Understanding of traffic signal control systems, advanced traffic management, adaptive signal control, transit signal priority, and connected vehicle (V2I) solutions
- Familiarity with mobility as a service offering, transportation-as-a-service or shared mobility topics
- Able to translate user requirements
into effective system designs using appropriate ITS technology
Knowledgeable in industry standards
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to develop new and innovative ideas / solutions
- Experience in business and commercial development
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues concisely
- Flexibility to manage diverse workload
- Ability to work both as part of a sophisticated multi-disciplinary team as well as possessing the ability to work independently to solve problems
- Self-motivated, but also a team player
- Willing to travel ~50%
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Siemens recognizes that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We therefore strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool.