Business Unit: Software
Requisition Number: 246116
Primary Location: United States-Michigan-Northville
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 20%
This position is an opportunity to work at the forefront of our company´s
innovative usage of digital simulation within industrial and research environments.
Simcenter STAR-CCM+ is the industry leading Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software that allows you to simulate almost any engineering problem that involves fluids, structures and all of the associated physics. Simcenter STAR-CCM+ is a complete multiphysics solution for the simulation of products and designs operating under real-world conditions. Uniquely, Simcenter STAR-CCM+ brings automated design exploration and optimization to the simulation toolkit of
every engineer, allowing you to efficiently explore the entire design space instead of focusing on single point design scenarios.
The Application Support Engineer is responsible for ensuring the technical success of our customers in their use of our software, STAR-CCM+. Working closely with customers to understand their engineering and IT workflows, the Application Support Engineer proposes solutions and best practices to help the client meet their objectives as well as improve their processes. The role includes classroom training, mentoring, and providing direct customer support. The position works closely with the sales organization to discover opportunities to
grow software usage within accounts and engage the customer to realize that growth.
Excellent communication skills and a desire to work with clients are critical to success in this fast-paced and broad engineering role. If you are creative, entrepreneurial, and possess excellent communication skills, we would like to hear from you.
The role will be based in our Northville, MI office out of which we support mostly local Automotive accounts as well as many other industries such as Aerospace, Defense, Energy, Marine and IT/cloud computing service providers in the entire Americas. Our clients are working on a wide range of applications including conjugate heat transfer (CHT), fluid structure interaction (FSI), combustion, multiphase flows, battery thermal management and electromagnetics. We are
also providing IT support to direct customers and cloud computing service
providers covering a wide range of topics including installation, licensing, remote display and high-performance computing (HPC) cluster configurations.
If desired by the applicant this role offers the opportunity to develop into an IT specialist role with up to 70% time spent on IT related cases.
This role offers the opportunity to learn additional non-CFD Simcenter simulation products.
• Act as the primary point of contact to assigned set of accounts for all technical issues related to their use of STAR-CCM+. Identify engineering and IT problems and take responsibility for their successful resolution.
• Facilitate the sales process in developing account intelligence, pursuing opportunities for growth of software usage, and assisting in software deployment.
• Conduct training on introductory and advanced topics in STAR-CCM+.
• Conduct technical discussions with customers to collect and understand simulation and IT requirements, propose solutions, and explain benefits of our approach.
• Perform CFD and/or hardware focused benchmark simulations and test cases to explore new methods, define best practices, and verify results.
• Create Knowledge Base Articles for the customer portal.
• Work on multiple projects and support engagements simultaneously.
• Collaborate with product management and industry teams to provide input on future product direction and communicate and demonstrate new software capabilities to customers.
• Using proficiently all aspects of CFD technology: software installation, licensing, HPC cluster configuration, CAD handling, meshing, solving, complex physics modelling, post-processing, coupling to other codes.
• Following and using new modelling techniques and features introduced in STAR-CCM+ releases. Finding new application areas and creating new simulation examples.
• B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Aerospace, Mechanical, or related field with focus on computational methods and fluid dynamics.
• Successful application of CFD methods to meet real world goals in research or design.
• Basic understanding of IT hardware and software systems. Knowledge of standard command-line tools in Linux and Windows for IT administration tasks.
• Experience with programming in a modern programming language.
• Ability to learn new skills and adapt to customer application needs.
• Interest in learning new Simcenter products (not CFD).
• Ability to travel up to 20%.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the Unites States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Advanced degree (M.S., Ph.D.) in Computational Fluid Dynamics, computational engineering or any combination of engineering and computer science (including double degrees).
• Proficiency with CFD simulation applications such as internal/external flows, transonic/supersonic flows, conjugate heat transfer, transient analysis, or multiphase applications
• Familiarity with meshing complex geometries, turbulence modeling, and simulation post processing.
• Experience with STAR-CCM+ or other commercial CFD tools.
• Working knowledge of common design processes, objectives, and constraints for industrial applications.
• Experience with Java programming
• Experience with CAD packages (e.g. Siemens NX, CATIA, SolidWorks)
• Knowledge of other products in the Simcenter portfolio would be an advantage
• Experience with FEA, optimization codes, 1D or 3D simulation tools that can be coupled with CFD solutions
• Experience in parallel programming using MPI, OpenMP or CUDA.
• Experience in various scripting languages including bash scripts.
• Experience with HPC system administration. Basic knowledge of interconnect hardware, parallel file systems. Experience with cluster benchmarking.
• Working knowledge of Spanish and French.