Business Unit: Service Controls and Digitalization
Requisition Number: 246293
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Charlotte
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 5%
Mechanic Maintenance Technician
We develop networks that power and heat our cities intelligently. We build next-generation high speed trains, smart energy networks and support NASA in their explorations of outer space. We need people like you! Experience specialists and clever minds who like to get to the bottom of things. Help us tackle the most exciting challenges and put into practice what really matters. So, what are you waiting for? Take your career step with us.
In this hands-on role, you will this be responsible for the general maintenance activities of the plant. You will conduct maintenance functions safely, reliably, efficiently and in full compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Performs repair and maintenance work following blueprint sketches, technical manuals and procedures.
• Identifies mechanical design, machinery improvements or problems and recommends modifications necessary for resolution.
• Performs upkeep of the maintenance management system and other administrative tasks as assigned. Maintain logs of problems, repairs and downtime.
• Follows safety/environmental rules and regulations. Implements safe working practices and immediately identifies hazards and recommends and/or implement repairs.
• Performs power plant rigging and operates lifting equipment necessary for safe handling of heavy machinery and materials.
• Certify as a Crane Operator and attend rigging training.
• Trains others to gain knowledge as required. Provides training (safety and mechanical maintenance) for new hires and for refresher items. Receives training to further individual knowledge and prepares oneself for advancement.
• Assists in the investigation of plant problems, incidents, accidents, and unusual events; and provides input and recommendations for reports and follow-up plans.
• Writes, reviews and revises maintenance and related procedures.
• Troubleshoots equipment and systems and provides/performs corrective action. Performs failure analysis to determine cause of equipment/system malfunction.
• Will work with outside contractors during overhauls or at other times, when Contractors are engaged in Plant work.
• Will develop or assist in the development of work packages for projects and outage repairs. Will perform as contactor coordinator as required on projects and maintenance outages.
• Attends to housekeeping at the end of each job/task. Maintains plant cleanliness.
• Maintains all facility equipment through corrective, predictive and planned activities.
• Completes all training/qualifications required to be a Mechanical Technician.
• Must be able to work scheduled hours, overtime both scheduled and unscheduled, on days off and beyond regular work schedule and to perform shift work, including holidays, nights and weekends, when required.
• Follows all safety/environmental policies, procedures, rules and participates in training. Promotes the Company’s Zero Harm vision through actions and conduct.
• Follows all Company policies and expectations and behaves in a manner that promotes the Company’s values and positively effects morale.
• Maintains and responsible for keeping company provided tools in a clean and safe condition.
1. Ability to read, write and speak in the English language and perform basic mathematical computations; high school diploma or equivalent required. Associates degree/Certification in mechanical maintenance field preferred.
2. Five years of industry/military experience, including completion of mechanic apprenticeship (or equivalent) in a power plant environment as a mechanic.
3. Working knowledge of computers, preferably experience with Windows-based programs such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Project and PeopleSoft.
4. Ability to read and understand P&IDs, electrical, and mechanical drawings.
5. Ability to pass respirator fit tests to use respiratory protective equipment at all times.
6. Knowledge of troubleshooting techniques.
7. Good communications skills both verbal and written.
8. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding in four (4) of the following skills; pipefitting, welding, machining, rigging, rotating machine repair, fabrication, machine alignment, piping schematics, mechanical drawings.
9. Demonstrated ability to locate, troubleshoot, adjust and correct defects in complex mechanical equipment.
10. Demonstrated ability to communicate and coordinate work with others on technical subjects across job families.
11. Ability to work at various heights from aerial lifts, ladders, and scaffolding, and in areas of high noise and temperature extremes.
12. Ability to work scheduled hours, overtime both scheduled and unscheduled, on days off, and beyond regular work schedule. Ability to perform shift work, including holidays, nights, and weekends, when required.
13. Ability to work near high voltages, rapidly moving equipment and in confined spaces.
14. Physical Requirements:
Requirements Physical Demands
Sight Acuity Near Frequent
Sight Acuity Far Frequent
Sight Depth Acuity Frequent
Sight Color Acuity Frequent
Talking (Loud and/or Clear) Frequent
Heavy Lifting (>50 pounds) Moderate
Medium Lift (<50 pounds) Frequent
Incumbent may be required to work in conditions where hazardous material and /or toxic fumes could be present. Additionally, incumbent will be exposed to areas of high heat, loud noise, steam, combustible gases, rotating machinery and other conditions normally encounter in an operating generation facility.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Siemens Gas and Power (GP) is a global pacesetter in energy, helping customers to meet the evolving demands of today’s industries and societies. GP comprises broad competencies across the entire energy value chain and offers a uniquely comprehensive portfolio for utilities, independent power producers, transmission system operators and the oil and gas industry. Products, solutions and services address the extraction, processing and the transport of oil and gas as well as power generation in central and distributed thermal power plants and power transmission in grids. With global headquarters in Houston in the U.S. and more than 64,000 employees in over 80 countries, Siemens Gas and Power has a presence across the globe and is a leading innovator for the energy systems of today and tomorrow, as it has been for more than 150 years