Business Unit: Low Voltage Products
Requisition Number: 246429
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Hingham
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Russelectric, A Siemens Business, is a leading U.S. manufacturer of power control systems including paralleling switchgear and automatic transfer switches. As a growing business, we are looking for a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) Software Engineer to join our Hingham, MA team. The PLC Software Engineer will be responsible for the development, modification, and debugging of the PLC control logic used to control and monitor switchgear systems. The engineer will also be responsible for advising the SCADA development team to ensure that all specified software operations and features are provided, accurate, and intuitive.
At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our employees to act as owners, make decisions and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have over 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard.
- Confirm project requirements by reviewing the program objective vs. hardware
- Provide an estimated completion schedule for every programming project
- Develop custom PLC programs with both function block and ladder logic style programming using a standards-based approach
- Partner with with SCADA development team to design project specific SCADA control and monitoring screens
- Responsible for alarm and event point assignment, which will be used in SCADA development to enhance operator situational awareness.
- Provide troubleshooting support for our manufacturing facilities in Hingham, MA, Broken Arrow, OK, as well as Field Service Engineers
- Proactively identify areas for continuous improvement as it relates to PLC programming standards
- Develop and support lifelike PLC programming for new Utility/Generator SWGR, Utility/Generator SWGR System automatic operation and Emergency Power SWGR
- Develop and support highly accurate custom PLC programming for legacy Emergency Power SWGR Systems.
- Lead live demonstrations for existing and potential customers, highlighting the strengths of our SWGR automation
- Provide PLC program support by using non-standard PLC programming software.
- Collaborate with other departments, commissioning agents, and end users to come up with improvements and new features for our Switchgear Systems.
- Perform Research and Development tasks to validate ideas and implement changes into the PLC software standard.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Educational Requirements:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Automation Engineering, Control Engineering or related fields.
2. 5+ years of PLC software engineering experience in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
3. Excellent organizational skills, able to establish priorities, while managing multiple projects at once.
4. Proficiency with windows based operating systems and TCP/IP networks.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of standard data types (Boolean, Integer, Double Integer, Floating Point, etc.).
6. Demonstrated knowledge with Object-Oriented Programming.
7. Ability to interpret schematics, wiring prints, point lists, and other documentation.
8. Understanding of 3 phase power.
9. Strong understanding of diesel generator start/stop control, synchronizing, load sharing, and soft loading.
10. Experience with a variety of communication methods, such as Genius, SRTP, Ethernet Global Data, Profinet, and Modbus.
11. Experience with a variety of programming PLCs and SCADAs, including LM90, VersaPro, Proficy, RSLogix 5000, ProWORX, Step 7, and Wonderware.
12. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
13. Extensive knowledge of PLC Network Architecture. This includes, but is not limited to Redundant PLC Controllers, Remote IO Drops, and all associated network protocols.
14. Proficient knowledge in Emergency Power Switchgear System, and Automatic Transfer Switch operation; including, but not limited to No-Load Tests, ATS Load Tests, Manual/Auto Load Control, and Generator Demand.
15. In-depth understanding of Utility/Generator Switchgear System operation, including Open Transition Transfers, 100ms Overlap Transfers, Soft Loading Transfers, Transfer Failures, Electrical Events while the 16. Generators are paralleled with a Utility Source, etc.
17. Ability to thrive in a diverse environment with minimal supervision.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Why Siemens? In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
- A competitive base salary
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, matching 401K, life insurance and 3 weeks of PTO to start.
- Extensive training along with career development.
We aim to hire top talent and arm them with the opportunity to make top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in a growing business. We are proud that when people join Siemens, they rarely leave, as shown with our low turnover.
Siemens Smart Infrastructure (SI) is shaping the market for intelligent, adaptive infrastructure for today and the future. It addresses the pressing challenges of urbanization and climate change by connecting energy systems, buildings and industries. SI provides customers with a comprehensive end-to-end portfolio from a single source – with products, systems, solutions and services from the point of power generation all the way to consumption. With an increasingly digitalized ecosystem, it helps customers thrive and communities progress while contributing toward protecting the planet. SI creates environments that care. Siemens Smart Infrastructure has its global headquarters in Zug, Switzerland, and has around 71,000 employees worldwide.