Business Unit: Software
Requisition Number: 247009
Primary Location: United States-New York-Melville
Other Locations: United States-New Hampshire-Lebanon, United States-Texas-Austin
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: 5%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationality for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in nine Divisions: Power and Gas, Wind Power and Renewables, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, Healthcare and Financial Services.
The Siemens Digital Factory Division offers a comprehensive portfolio of seamlessly integrated hardware, software and technology-based services in order to support manufacturing companies worldwide in enhancing the flexibility and efficiency of their manufacturing processes and reducing the time to market of their products.
For more information, please visit: http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/digital-factory.htm
Software Engineer, Vertical Application Development
Siemens PLM is looking for a Software Engineer to join the Verticals development team. This position will report to a Program Manager, within the Technology Application and Verticals Department, which itself is part of the larger Product Development organization. This sizable team is tasked with providing 3 full releases per year all including new feature development.
The Software Engineer will:
Design, implement and test automation & workflow enhancements for vertical application specific developments in the flagship product STAR-CCM+
Quickly interpret requirements of new features to create development proposals/prototypes which can be shared and further enhanced with the team.
Own the user experience and software quality for the above tool within the development environment and synthesize numerous feedback mechanisms to continually enhance the product.
Operate within an agile scrum environment, taking appropriate ownership of development tasks, and report back on progress and impediments.
- Development and maintenance of specific features within the Vertical Application team, requiring writing cohesive, well-structured, object-oriented C++/Java code within a sizable code base.
- Reviewing, testing and fixing code written by other developers.
- An attention to quality and good programming practice to support the maintainability and extensibility of the tool.
- Interpretation of market driven requirements into feature proposals/prototypes.
- Consideration of the end user and overall workflow of the solution to meet the requirements.
- The ability to communicate and coordinate within a large distributed development organization.
- The ability to independently understand complex problems and devise efficient, robust solutions on multiple platforms (Windows and Linux).
- Personal management, attending regular team meetings and reporting on progress of feature development.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
MS or Ph. D in Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a related discipline.
2-5 years of experience developing in C/C++ on a medium to large size development team on commercial engineering simulation software.
Experience of STAR-CCM+ or other engineering simulation products.
Working knowledge of engineering simulation.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
Developing software in a commercial environment.
Understanding of source code control systems such as GIT.
Engineering simulation software experience.
Familiarity with automated software testing.
Developing Java SE 7 user interfaces.
Developing in either Linux or Windows.
Usage of Agile software packages JIRA and/or Bitbucket.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.