Business Unit: Transmission Products
Requisition Number: 247255
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-Raleigh
Other Locations: United States--
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Technical Diploma
Travel Required: 85%
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 165 years. As a global technology company, Siemens is rigorously leveraging the advantages that this setup provides. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in eight Divisions: Power and Gas, Power Generation Services, Energy Management, Building Technologies, Mobility, Digital Factory, Process Industries and Drives, and Financial Services.
With power chain management from creation to consumption, and over half a dozen manufacturing hubs here in the U.S., Siemens Energy Management provides technologies for the economic, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. From smart grid and energy automation technology, to power supply for industrial plants and high-voltage transmission systems, Siemens is providing intelligent technologies to a diverse clientele.
For more information, please visit:
Transformer Installation Field Engineer
Customers around the world trust our products. And field service engineers significantly contribute to that. You are the first on the scene to solve any technical problem. You are a competent advisor, team player, and make things possible. “Unsolvable” is a foreign term, and you don’t do “unfair.” Your focus on the customers’ needs makes you an invaluable partner. When you join our team, you will reach one hundred percent in your career.
In this hands-on role, you will serve as a key liaison coordinating between our US customer installation base, Siemens worldwide transformer factory network and the US Transformer organization.
You will also assist in the process of one of the following areas: supervision, installation projects, testing, and/or modification of transformers on site.
• Coordinate and oversee the Installation &Commissioning (I&C) process for multiple factories
• Assist in Technical support on issues in the field, factory or customer requests
• Displays a high level of critical thinking in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and/or cross-functional problems.
• May guide the planning, scheduling and coordination of major segments of transformer installation / supervision to meet cost and time objectives.
• May guide routine review of very complex transformer and reactor designs and documentation to ensure compliance design criteria and standards.
• Responsible for the installation of all external parts and components of transformers and reactors in accordance with the Siemens TUMA and in accordance with individual installation instructions
• Guides the testing of transformer / reactors and brings very complex systems into an operational state (commissioning). To include commissioning of individual components on transformer systems.
• Develops and guides corrective modification of very complex hardware and software systems and/or equipment.
• Applies advanced skills to resolve very complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently.
• Thoroughly documents job activities through written reports
• Ability to review service proposals to define appropriate timing, value and scope is being addressed
• Perform up front investigations on transformer issues that arise to include Root Cause Analysis
• Test data report verification
• Installation of transformers including but not limited to: HVDC transformers (high voltage direct current), AC transformers, HVDC shunt reactors, AC reactors
• Connection the external wiring of the transformer supervisory, control and protection equipment up to the terminals in the control cabinet of transformers and reactors
• Vacuum and oil filling process on transformers and reactors in accordance with the Siemens installation guidelines (TUMA)
• Instruction and guiding subcontractors in all matters of the erection and commissioning works
• Issuing work performance and progress reports on daily basis
• Pre-commissioning tests on site
• Troubleshooting for transformer failures
• Inspection and maintenance for transformers
• Repair of transformers on site and warranty works
• Internal inspections of HVDC & AC transformers on site
• Ability to travel to overseas plants (e.g. Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Austria, etc.) and travel within the US. Total travel required up to approx. 85% of time.
• Typically, minimum 5 years of successful experience in transformer installation / supervision on site –and- min. 5 years of successful experience in transformer pre- and main assembly as well as testing inside factories
Specialized Knowledge/ Skills:
• Installation knowledge about single phase and three phase, GSU and HVDC transformers
• Knowledge about repair and warranty works on transformers
• Demonstrates and applies comprehensive knowledge of transformers to the successful completion of complex assignments.
• Demonstrates advanced knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of particular are of specialization.
• Demonstrates significant knowledge of organization's business practices and issues faced and contributes to problem resolution of those issues.
• Knowledge of the mechanical design of all types all types of Siemens power transformers and reactors
• Knowledge of air type, oil type, cable boxes and SF6 -gas type bushing for transformers and reactors.
• Long term experience in the installation of high voltage bushings and high current bushings on transformers
Direction of Others:
• Provide specialized guidance or train/ support and/or professional staff.
• Leadership qualities and role model qualities demonstrated.
* This position can be based anywhere in the US with access to a major airport
Siemens Gas and Power (GP) is a global pacesetter in energy, helping customers to meet the evolving demands of today’s industries and societies. GP comprises broad competencies across the entire energy value chain and offers a uniquely comprehensive portfolio for utilities, independent power producers, transmission system operators and the oil and gas industry. Products, solutions and services address the extraction, processing and the transport of oil and gas as well as power generation in central and distributed thermal power plants and power transmission in grids. With global headquarters in Houston in the U.S. and more than 64,000 employees in over 80 countries, Siemens Gas and Power has a presence across the globe and is a leading innovator for the energy systems of today and tomorrow, as it has been for more than 150 years