Business Unit: Research in Digitalization and Automation
Requisition Number: 247318
Primary Location: United States-California-Berkeley
Assignment Category: Full-time temporary
Experience Level: Entry level
Education Required Level: Master's Degree
Travel Required: No
Join us to drive research on Augmented Reality, Semantic Modeling, and AI with leading partners in the field for tackling environmental issues!
The Artificial & Human Intelligence research group offers a stimulating research environment and rewarding career opportunities in proximity to universities, research institutes and start-ups.
You will have the opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem-solving environment. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems. Our team has a strong publication record in leading journals and conferences.
The Artificial & Human Intelligence research group in Berkeley, California has an immediate opening for a 6-month full-time (40 hours/week) internship position to work on R&D projects in applying semantic, AI, and AR technologies to tackling environmental hazards such as wildfires.
The candidate will develop knowledge and experience in building demonstrators and prototypes that help to illustrate and visualize new concepts and business ideas.
The ideal candidate is
experienced with the state-of-the-art of rapid prototyping platforms and tools,
connected in the human computer interaction research community and capable of
conveying the mechanisms of semantic embedded concepts to decision makers from
industry by tangible prototypes. The candidate should also be curious to
publishing scientific papers and be ready to present intermediate results to
exec’s and internal stakeholders.
An internship with Siemens Corporate Technology is a great opportunity for students to gain real world experience in a diverse work environment.
What are my responsibilities?
- The main objective is to understand problem requirements of our customers, to create prototypes, and to deliver revised iterations based on recurring feedback cycles
- You will be building and exploring digital companions, assisting systems, that help human users to better achieve their tasks and activities
- You will work within our team of researchers and get first hands-on experience of the way working in a corporate research division
- You will conceptualize, prototype, present, iterate, and discuss contributes to a project with other team members
- You will participate in group meetings, discuss with your manager, participate in phone calls and present results to our customer together with other team members
What skills are needed to qualify for this internship?
- A current student pursuing a MS/PhD degree in Mech/Electrical Engineering or Computer Science. Please note, you must still be enrolled as a full-time student during the internship period to qualify for the position.
- You must be able to work 40 hours a week for the entire duration of the internship (6 months)
- 2 years of experience with interaction technology beyond the desktop: mobile phone/tablet/AR
- 2 years of programming experience in Java/Android/iOS, e.g. writing reusable code
- Several months of work experience in research projects
- Excellent team working and communication (verbal & written) skills
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts
May consider sponsorship of short-term J-1 visa students, dependent upon program requirements.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies, and the business models developed from them, have been the foundation of Siemens’ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with its global network of experts, CT is a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. It provides important services along the entire value chain – from research and development to production and quality assurance, as well as optimized business processes. The support provided to the businesses in their research and development activities is ideally balanced with CT’s own future-oriented research. Siemens’ central research and development arm sees itself as a strategic partner to the company’s businesses. It plays a key role in achieving and maintaining leading competitive positions in the fields of electrification and automation while at the same time helping Siemens fully tap into the growth field of digitalization.