Business Unit: Service
Requisition Number: 247549
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Orlando
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Wind Service Technology Mechanical Engineering Manager
Leading the way forward in the renewable energy sector, Siemens Gamesa provides cleaner, more reliable and more affordable wind power. Our scale, global reach and proven track record ensure that we will play a central role in shaping the energy landscape of the future. The Service Technology organization manages the disposition of technical support to the field organization. The Mechanical Engineering Manager is responsible for the technical support for all mechanically inclined component cases from the field operations team as well as aiding the other departments in the organization when they need technical consultation.
- The Mechanical Engineering Manager reports to the Head of Service Technology for the North American region
- Responsible for managing the engineering personnel in the team (5-10 individuals)
- Responsible for managing the technical support process and function of the mechanical discipline within Technology North America
- Responsible for developing external focus from Technology towards support of internal customers
- Comply with and be a promoter for all Environmental, Health and Safety Requirements and Initiatives of the company
The three areas of responsibility for the Mechanical Engineering Manager are supervisory basics, functional formation and performance, and external focus developments.
Provide oversight and direction to the employees in the mechanical team in accordance with the organization's policies and procedures
- Understand, explain, and be a resource for employees on company policy
- Ensure employees have the equipment, tools, and knowledge to carry out their work
- Disseminate and be a resource for questions on company communications to employees. Maintain transparent communication.
Coach, mentor, and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
- Identify the employees’ strengths, tailor their development plans to their learning styles, and improve their skillset
Empower employees to take responsibility for their jobs and goals. Delegate responsibility, promote an even allocation of work, and expect accountability and regular feedback.
- Maintain employee work schedules including assignments, job rotation, training, vacations and paid time off, telecommuting, cover for absenteeism, and overtime scheduling.
- Foster a spirit of teamwork and unity among department members that allows for disagreement over ideas, conflict and expeditious conflict resolution, and the appreciation of diversity as well as cohesiveness, support, and working effectively together to enable each employee and the department to succeed.
- Consciously create a workplace culture that is consistent with the overall organization's and that emphasizes the identified mission, vision, guiding principles, and values of SGRE.
Lead employees using the company’s performance management and development process that provides an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution
- Lead employees to meet the organization's expectations for productivity, quality, continuous improvement, and goal accomplishment.
- Provide effective performance feedback through employee recognition, rewards, and disciplinary action, with the assistance of Human Resources, when necessary.
- Translate corporate goals into functional and individual goals.
- Support escalated cases from the first level support team in the identification and support of questions in relation to spare parts, tools, and work instructions.
- Support escalated cases from the first level support team for complex troubleshooting.
- Manage final disposition of component exchanges and repair reports
- Manage specification of reconditioning for components identified for repair
- Manage the production of engineering statements
- Manage performing root cause analysis or performing forensic analysis of a failure
- Support of Technical Account Management roles for customer presentations and communications including presenting at business reviews or technical forums.
- Support to sales, contract reviews, and customer orders and reports.
- Coordinate escalations, when needed, for the product review boards or technical quality forums.
- Aid in the decision making for retrofit deployment.
- Support growth initiatives (oOEM, Offshore, etc.)
- Initiate and manage the creation of cost reduction solutions.
- Initiate and manage the creation of solutions that improve product availability or increase site efficiency.
- Provide technical consultation in vendor qualification or technical inquiries.
- Produce technical details for quality and safety flashes. Provide technical support for rapid risk assessments.
- Provide technical support and disposition for crisis management events.
- Promote the functions and roles within Technology that can be leveraged for collaboration in Service business improvements.
Initiate or facilitate improvement project collaboration with other departments (Quality, Sales, oOEM, Operations, etc.) by analytically examining service challenges and breaking down problems into smaller parts and delegating the solutions based on the organization’s big picture.
- Provide leadership exposure to needs or roadblocks the project teams are facing.
Anticipate changes needed in the technology department as the Service business evolves
- Plan changes necessary for achieving evolving business needs
- Work with responsible parties and departments to modify engineering processes to suit new scope and roles
- Provide business assessments for resource plans.
- Develop and leverage a global network between the other regions, global platforms, and support functions to influence technical support process efficiency and product improvements.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Engineering BS in Mechanical, Aerospace, Materials, or related field of study
- 5+ years in engineering management
- 10+ years in mechanical machinery design or reliability design, and maintenance
- Up to 15% travel
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
The following knowledge/skills, education, and experiences are preferred but NOT required to be considered for this position.
- Masters or Ph.D in Engineering or related technical field; Masters in Business Administration
- 2+ years wind industry experience
- Knowledge, skills, or expertise related to composite rotor design and repair
- PMP certification
- Active member in IEC 61400 subcommittees
What makes you the right candidate?
- You are a challenge finder – and can create a cross-functional network of individuals to resolve complex problems
- You are a listener, and can be a ambassador for our site’s issues and improvement suggestions
- You are comfortable and have a tolerance to uncertainty
- You instill confidence in your employees and become a resistance barrier to stress
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills
- You’re capable of modifying your behavior to react objectively to concerns and conflict situations
- You’re an emotionally intelligent person
- You promote diversity in the workplace