Business Unit: Service
Requisition Number: 247703
Primary Location: United States-Florida-Orlando
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 95%
About Siemens Gamesa Renewable EnergyWith a worldwide installed capacity of 75 GW, Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy has a presence in more than 90 countries and a team of 27,000 employees worldwide. Its end-to-end value chain presence encompasses onshore and offshores wind turbines design, manufacturing, installation as well as cutting-edge service solutions. The global headquarters and legal domicile of the company is located in Zamudio, Spain. The company is listed on the Spanish stock exchange.
Mechanical Specialist Repair Technician
Position Summary: This position is responsible for planning, performing, and reporting on drivetrain (gearbox, main shaft, and main bearing, generator bearings, etc) inspections and repairs. This position is also responsible for trouble-shooting support for all components associated with drivetrain (pumps, fans, sensors, etc). 95% travel site-work-related is required. The mechanical specialist will interface with clients and manage small crews on a regular basis.
Position could report & support O&M during periods of down time or travel to support other jobs within the Advanced Maintenance team. Heavy lifts, Major Campaigns and Blades.
• Ability to work in confined / enclosed space and comfortable with heights
• Inspections (borescope) of drivetrain components (main shaft + bearings, gearbox + gears + bearings)
• Gearbox repairs – high speed bearings, high speed shafts, intermediate speed bearings, mechanical pump
• Assist in troubleshooting of drivetrain related issues (pumps, sensors, brakes, cooling unit, filters, etc.)
• Assist in large corrective (crane work) replacement of gearboxes and main shafts
• Strong written and verbal communication skills to describe complex damages, participate in preparation of inspection and repair reports, and follow up to final resolution
• Advance knowledge of maintenance and electrical testing equipment for turbines
• Test electrical components and systems, as well as mechanical and hydraulic systems
• Perform maintenance on wind turbine equipment including troubleshooting electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic malfunctions. Replace worn or malfunctioning components.
• Support Advanced Maintenance group with various projects, including large and small correctives on a variety of components
• Identify process improvements; including reduction of non-value added operations, increased productivity opportunities, increased safety opportunities, etc
• Inspect, diagnose, adjust, and repair components in the wind turbine. Inspect the exterior and physical integrity of towers and blades.
• Technician must be able to work within the maximum safety guidelines using personal protection equipment
• Basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, diagnostic tools and equipment
• Must be willing to travel for extended periods of time - up to 95%
• Perform other duties – Safe, team-oriented work habits are essential
Required Education/Work experience:
High School Graduate/GED/Equivalent work
2-4 years related work experience
Microsoft Office Suite - Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.
• Gearbox / Generator Repairs and Inspections
• Familiarity with Gamesa and/or Siemens Mechanical/Electrical turbine operation
• Ability to lead repair team
• Turbine trouble shooting (knowledge in electrical and hydraulic schematic readings)
• Knowledge of mechanical/electrical inspection techniques
• Turbine work and safety practices
• Knowledge of mechanical/electrical repairs
• Document inspection repairs and create reports
• Ability to work from height for inspection or repairs
• Use of borescope and Laser alignment tool - digital camera – set up and operation
• May provide general guidance to others and train lower level employees.
Primary equipment used: Wind turbine tools, Electrical testers, digital camera, Standard office equipment, forklift, laser alignment and borescope