Business Unit: Regional Solutions & Services Americas
Requisition Number: 248037
Primary Location: United States-Texas-San Antonio
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 5%
The Fire Alarm Estimator is a critical role in the sales organization. This role is relied upon to be a subject matter expert in Siemens fire alarm systems and national, state and local codes. The Fire Alarm Estimator reports directly to the Branch General Manager and will provide estimating support to account executives, account managers and business development managers.
At Siemens, we live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience. We trust and empower our employees to act as owners, make decisions and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
Who designs your future? You do. Working within our global company, you can design the career of your dreams. We have over 200 offices in 101 countries providing you the opportunity to see the world or stay in your own back yard.
· Develop and maintain deep technical understanding of Siemens fire alarm and MNS components and operation
· Develop and maintain deep understanding of national, state and local code requirements for fire alarm and MNS
· Assist with site checks to gather required information needed for estimates and/or sales presentations
· Interpret specifications to determine requirements of contract documents
· Take-off device counts from engineered drawings
· Create a device layout for code compliant fire alarm systems
· Take-off device counts from design-build drawings
· Determine panel and ancillary components required to create complete fire alarm systems and/or mass notification systems (MNS)
· Generate bill of materials (BOM)
· Collect information from other functions, vendors, and subcontractors to complete estimates as needed
· Coordinate wiring requirements with subcontractors on turn-key projects
· Complete cost estimates
· Write scope narratives and clarifications
· Identify inclusions and exclusions
· Complete first draft of proposal and deliver to Sales
· Document cost and estimating activities to ensure timely booking submittal when an order is received
· Respond quickly to Sales to ensure timely proposal response to customers
· Act as subject matter expert, providing code and technical consulting to the sales organization and customers as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills, Education and Experience
1. Required education: high school diploma, state-accredited GED, or state-recognized high school placement exam.
2. Demonstrable ability to comprehend, explain, and estimate labor and materials associated with the type of electrical infrastructure required for fire alarm systems and mass notification systems. This understanding could come from working other related roles in the fire alarm industry, or even from performing other estimating roles from other segments of the electrical industry
3. Ability to collaborate and work with all levels of management.
4. Sound decision making and clear communication with all other departments.
5. Must have a successful track record of promoting teamwork and positive relationships.
6. Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
7. Demonstrable ability to perform quoting and estimating functions.
8. Requires technical and financial expertise with an aptitude to learn and competently use company estimating tools as well as gain an understanding of value engineering, related contractual concepts, and financial acumen.
9. Excellent oral, and written communication skills.
10. Ability to travel 5% of the time.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Education and Experience
1. One to three years of designing fire alarm systems.
2. Local connections with San Antonio electrical contractors.
3. Knowledge of Siemens fire alarm and MNS products.
Individual must possess a valid Driver's license in good standing.
Individual must be at least 21 years of age in order to participate in the required Siemens vehicle plan.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Why Siemens? In addition to an incredible career opportunity, we offer:
- A competitive base salary
- Excellent health/vision/dental plans, matching 401K, life insurance and 3 weeks of PTO to start.
- Extensive training along with career development.
We aim to hire top talent and arm them with the opportunity to make top dollar. Siemens is a great place to have a career in a growing business. We are proud that when people join Siemens, they rarely leave, as shown with our low turnover.
Siemens Smart Infrastructure (SI) is shaping the market for intelligent, adaptive infrastructure for today and the future. It addresses the pressing challenges of urbanization and climate change by connecting energy systems, buildings and industries. SI provides customers with a comprehensive end-to-end portfolio from a single source – with products, systems, solutions and services from the point of power generation all the way to consumption. With an increasingly digitalized ecosystem, it helps customers thrive and communities progress while contributing toward protecting the planet. SI creates environments that care. Siemens Smart Infrastructure has its global headquarters in Zug, Switzerland, and has around 71,000 employees worldwide.