Business Unit: Rolling Stock
Requisition Number: 248145
Primary Location: United States-California-Sacramento
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: High School Diploma / (GED)
Travel Required: 5%
As an Industrial/Manufacturing Engineer your primary responsibility will be to ensure that production operations is ready to go at the scheduled start of production date with all required jigs and fixtures utilizing lean methodologies and practical process knowledge.
- Reviewing engineering drawings, 3D engineering models using Pro-E or PTC Creo to gain an understanding of manufacturing process requirements such as job sequence, workflow, and takt time.
- Defining key production work steps, sequences, and durations and setting up work scope per station or per cell basis.
- Preparing future production floor layouts to meet customer takt time
- Preparing Standardized work instructions
- Setting up stations with proper fixtures, templates (drilling, small components, mounting), tooling, and equipment
- Development of detailed specifications for jigs and fixtures for manufacturing processes using takt time, capacity calculations, engineering product design, and sourcing jigs and fixtures from vendors.
- Leading manufacturing improvements, complex process changes, and technology changes including developing a core team, assigning / reporting to a steering committee, projecting efforts involved with implementation, and identifying impacts to the business in dollars and hours.
- Providing critical process control guidance to production, maintenance, and quality control to improve the dimensional accuracy of our products.
- Coordinating and communicating technical information to and from all levels of the organization including vendors, project managers, production team members, and operations managers.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- 1-3 years of experience planning and support launch of vehicle production in welding or assembly processes (e.g. rail, aviation, naval, heavy equipment).
- Work experience in the rail business, preferably in light rail, heavy rail, or related production, is needed.
- Firm project management skills, including developing project plans, timelines / schedules, budgets, proposed layouts, resource requirements, calculating ROI, etc.
- Practical knowledge of the lean tool box and ability to utilize lean principles to reduce waste.
- A history of “hands-on” approach to problem solving and countermeasure implementation within own areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the structure and make up of vehicles, including welding activities, fabrication and assembly, electrical subassembly, finishing and paint, and final assembly.
- Demonstrated understanding of tooling and fixtures for manufacturing and its impact to dimensional accuracy and/or welding quality.
- Experience using different types of bills of materials between engineering and production.
- A history of driving projects in a very dynamic low volume start up production environment.
- High school diploma or GED
- Required travel: 5%
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering highly preferred
- Six Sigma Master Black Belt / Six Sigma Black Belt / Lean / Lean Certification
- Practical experience in Customer Service / Maintenance / After Market businesses and technologies within the rail industry preferred.
- Practical experience using complex Factory Planning Methods such as defining high level manufacturing plans, identifying / analyzing new technologies required, creating a value stream analysis, performing total space needs analysis, performing total capacity needs analysis, implementation planning, etc. preferred.
- Practical experience developing technology roadmaps for a range of automation options from spot welding, to robot welding, to using new material types such as SST, Aluminum, etc. preferred.
- Practical experience transferring technical knowledge, manufacturing knowledge, and proprietary technologies from lead factories to market factories preferred.
- Practical experience training others on Lean topics, facilitating Lean improvement activities, leading lean improvement activities (KAIZEN) within a welding, finishing, assembly, and electrical sub-assembly environment.
- Practical experience utilizing and implementing lean methods and tools such as 5s, 7 Types of Waste, 8-Step Practical Problem Solving (root cause analysis), Yamazumi Methods, Flow, Total Flow, Kanban, Value Stream Mapping and Design / Process Flow Diagrams, ABC-XYZ Analysis, and Lean Shop Floor Management Model.
- Practical experience coaching and training staff at all levels and functions of the organization including Lean in Production, Lean in Engineering, Lean in Quality, Lean in Procurement / Purchasing / Supply Chain and Lean at the Supplier.
- Knowledge of MRP / ERP systems is highly desired.
- Bi-lingual German and English is a plus.
- Bi-Lingual Spanish and English is a plus.