Engineering Summer Placement
Engineering Summer Placement - Glasgow
We are looking for the decision-makers of tomorrow, the talented undergraduates to take on new challenges in one of the leading engineering and technology companies in the world . We want year long industrial placement students ready to help Siemens shape entire industries, cities and even countries in our mainline rail automation department, a part of our ‘Mobility Division’.
With unprecedented level of investment, there has never been a better time to gain experience in the rail industry.
The demand for mobility is growing as the transportation of people and goods to all corners of the earth presents challenges for the infrastructure and national economies. Mobility is providing solutions to the following questions: How will cities solve the problems of increasing traffic? How can railway operators improve the punctuality of service and security of their systems? How can we ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum?
All mobility-related products, solutions and services from Siemens are bundled into the ‘Mobility Division’. Part of our mobility division is ‘Siemens Rail Automation’ who are a global leader in the design, supply, installation and commissioning of trackside and trainborne signalling as well as train control solutions. We also work on international projects from our Chippenham headquarters.
This role will likely turn into a permanent Graduate opportunity following the completion of your degree and will be based in Glasgow, please be aware of this when applying and ensure you are happy to be based there in the future.
We are looking for bright, inquisitive students who want to make a difference.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Assisting in delivering project engineering work-packages
• Developing knowledge and skills in the preparation of engineering plans, specifications and system design to ensure these are delivered to time, quality, and cost parameters
• Building a working knowledge of our products, systems and strategies for implementation
• Preparing and maintaining team resource schedules to identify resource utilisation and work with the Principle Project Engineer to maximize resource utilisation/efficiency
• Participating in the Continuous Improvement of project engineering by identifying efficiencies in project engineering while promoting engineering excellence, through the adoption of new processes tools and methods of working
• Carrying out work placements in specified technical and non-technical business functions
• Studying towards a degree in electronic engineering, computer science, physics, mathematics or other engineering based subject.
• A willingness to learn and ability to innovate.
• Strong sense of safety.
• Strong and effective communicator across peer group within the company and customers.
• Willing to fill gaps in own knowledge and experience through taking a pro-active approach to learning, and seeking information from within and outside the company.
What else do I need to know?
Siemens is dedicated to quality, equality, and valuing diversity, and we welcome applications that reflect the diversity of the communities within which we work.
Job ID: 80629
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time