How do you shape the future through engineering?
We are looking for the decision makers of tomorrow, talented engineering graduates ready to help Siemens shape entire industries, cities and even countries in our mainline rail automation department, a part of our ‘Mobility Division’. With unprecedented level of investment, there has never been a better time to gain experience in the rail industry.
Join us on our Graduate Programme to get to know us from the inside, develop your natural talents on the job – and work at the cutting edge of engineering.
The demand for mobility is growing as the transportation of people and goods to all corners of the earth presents challenges for the infrastructure and national economies. Mobility is providing solutions to the following questions: How will cities solve the problems of increasing traffic? How can railway operators improve the punctuality of service and security of their systems? How can we ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum?
All mobility-related products, solutions and services from Siemens are bundled into the ‘Mobility Division’. Part of our mobility division is ‘Siemens Rail Automation’ who are a global leader in the design, supply, installation and commissioning of trackside and train borne signaling as well as train control solutions. We also work on international projects from our headquarters in Chippenham where you will be based for the first year of your programme.
The remainder of your programme will be based in one of the following locations: Chippenham, Manchester, York, Glasgow, Derby, Birmingham or Croydon. You will be required to specify your preferences within your application.
Our graduate development programme is accredited by the “Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET)” and the “Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)”. You will rotate around the business gaining engineering specific competencies towards becoming a Chartered Engineer with a recognised professional body.
Work closely with your mentor to establish a personal development plan in order to let your skills shine – whilst getting to know our business and our impact on society through a variety of hands-on assignments.
The end goal? To equip yourself for a move into a responsible engineering role.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in delivering project engineering work-packages.
- Developing knowledge and skills in the preparation of engineering plans, specifications and system design to ensure these are delivered to time, quality, and cost parameters.
- Building a working knowledge of our products, systems and strategies for implementation.
- Preparing and maintaining team resource schedules to identify resource utilisation and work with the Principle Project Engineer to maximise resource utilisation/efficiency.
- Participating in the continuous improvement of project engineering by identifying efficiencies in project engineering while promoting engineering excellence, through the adoption of new processes tools and methods of working.
- Carrying out work placements in specified technical and non-technical business functions.
- You will have achieved or be predicted to achieve a 2:1 or above in an Electronic, Telecommunications, Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or Computer Science related degree.
- A bachelor's or master’s degree which must be accredited towards acquiring Chartered Engineer (CEng) status with a relevant professional institution.
- A willingness to learn and ability to innovate.
- Safety culture awareness – to be able to influence and develop an existing safety culture to the latest generation thinking and practice.
- Strong and effective communicator with both customers and across peer group within the company.
- Enjoy jumping in and, with support from us, feel comfortable taking responsibility for tasks and projects.
- Aspiration to be a specialist or a leader within an engineering environment.
You will have the ambition and enthusiasm for travel, a willingness to take on new challenges at short notice as well as strong attention to detail.
A ‘can do’ attitude will be expected and any extra-curricular such as engagement with rail interest groups will be welcomed and supported.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 348,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens.Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.