Senior Design Engineer
Siemens Rail Electrification are recruiting for a Senior Design Engineer to be based out of our York offices. This person will be responsible for working on both the development and leading the delivery of exciting and innovative major projects in the UK.
The Senior Design Engineer will primarily direct the activities of the teams to achieve the safe implementation of rail traction power distribution projects to the customer’s specifications and timescales agreed. They will also be responsible for checking that the quality of output from the section is to the required standards and that target dates are achieved.
What are my Responsibilities?
- Direct the preparation of technical details, distribution drawings, estimates and working drawings for rail traction power works within the project team to meet laid down timescales and authorised budget constraints.
- Carry out independent checking of design documents as required.
- Ensure that the technical and safety standards are maintained in all aspects of design work in order that successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved
- Provide functional support and guidance to the Design Delivery Manager and others within the team on all aspects of Traction Power Design within allocated projects.
- Provide support and input to Project Manager and Project Engineers on allocated projects.
- Identify the required budget provision for allocated projects to enable sufficient financial authority to be gained.
- Participate in and monitor the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met and effect remedial action when required.
- Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets.
- Evaluate the quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available commercial award for the Company.
- Prepare and deliver briefings to staff on technical, procedural and Handbook publications, including participation in relevant training.
- Discharge safety responsibilities in relation to CDM Regulations, Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan.
- Focus on individual and team development through the completion of annual performance appraisals, career reviews and through the management of poor performance.
- Act as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed.
- Perform duties as directed by Management from time to time in connection with traction power design activities.
- Support problem solving and site engineering when required.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- An Engineering Degree or HND minimum.
- Member of the IET or other recognised Professional body.
- Flexible, innovative approach, able to evaluate and adapt alternative new technologies
- Able to contribute and work within a team of industry-leading engineers in an environment willing to challenge and be challenged in pursuit of excellence
- Experience in all aspects of the design and implementation of rail high voltage traction power systems with particular emphasis on the preparation and checking of designs.
- Practical experience of the operational requirements of railway construction works.
- Good knowledge of Project Safety requirements.
- Good commercial awareness and knowledge of contract conditions.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent understanding of task, time and people management.
- Working towards Chartered Engineer Status
- Holder of Personal Track Safety card
- Broad railway construction, maintenance or operations experience
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability as we will use this data to review your suitability for the role.
What else do I need to know?
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
If you are successful in your application you will receive a new contract detailing the standard terms, conditions and benefits associated with this role. Please note that this may impact any existing entitlements to legacy terms.
Please note that it is Siemens policy for all employees to inform their line manager when formally applying for a new role within Siemens.
Job ID: 87725
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time