Technical Lead Engineer
In this role you will be required to manage and be responsible for a team of technical lead engineers and will have overall responsibility for ensuring design coordination of all engineering solutions. You will need to maximise the added value per engineering hour by instilling a “Right first time” culture within the department via mentoring, training and optimised processes and infrastructure.
What are my responsibilities?
- Ensure that the right quantity and quality of resource is in place.
- Liaise with the Engineering Resource Planner to ensure that all resources are planned using the PM@Siemens work package process.
- Manage processes to ensure consistency of engineering solutions within the department and promote best practice sharing with other Engineering departments within the division.
- Ensure that departmental key performance indicators are in place to monitor delivery to time, budget and quality.
- Liaise with external design organisations ensuring technical compliance of engineering solutions.
- Ensure as part of the process all design risks are identified and controlled ensuring full compliance with current Health and Safety legislation.
- To put in place a formal mentoring process to enable the development of less experienced engineers.
- Manage a training matrix to ensure that the most efficient and suitable training is provided for the whole department
- Manage the NCR system to monitor the amount of rework on projects.
- Participation in the Top+ and 3i Continuous Improvement Programmes.
- Commitment to Siemens Think Customer initiative including excellent call handling and voice mail skills.
- Abide by all business compliance requirements in line with Company policies, for example Business Conduct Guidelines & Confidential Information
- The Technical Lead Engineer is primarily responsible for ensuring that all customer functional and technical requirements are fully incorporated into a value driven, risk managed and timely delivered design solution. This shall entail managing the technical delivery and the technical interface management of the design solution throughout both the acquisition and execution stages of the project.
- The Technical Lead Engineer is essentially responsible for delivering the technical project objectives, delegated to him/her by the bid / project manager.
- The Technical Lead Engineer is a function of the engineering department and furthermore the Technical Lead Engineer acts as a technical conduit between Engineering, Project Management, and all internal and external stakeholders as applicable.
- The category (A, B, C) of a project will influence its complexity, level of risk, and scope of responsibility. These factors shall be considered by the business in determining whether the project supports a need for a dedicated Technical Lead Engineer. By default, all TS1 projects shall be assigned a dedicated Technical Lead Engineer throughout the lifecycle of the project. TS3 projects will not generally require a Technical Lead Engineer and as such the responsibilities outlined hereafter shall be absorbed within the remit of the Design Manager supported by the Work Package Manager(s).
Primary tasks include:
- Responsible for the technical solution
- A technical escalation and coordination point of contact for the project management team
- Technical management of a team of multi-discipline engineers to ensure timely output of all engineering deliverables during the acquisition and execution stages of the project.
- Ensuring that all customer functional and technical requirements are fully incorporated into the overall technical design solution (i.e. requirements management / traceability).
- Management of all technical interfaces and technical interface clarification between project areas.
- Development of agreed divisions of responsibility between internal and external parties related to design engineering.
- Management of technical co-ordination meetings, design reviews / workshops, etc.
- Moderation, decision and conclusion of engineering specific conflicts between disciplines, liaison with project engineers and project managers to resolve.
- Configuration management and change control management, implementation of design baselines / freezes. Production of change impact assessment to support project management of claims.
- Management of design risk assessments (DRA) and hazard and safety analysis (HAZID).
- Ensuring effective CDM design compliance.
- Taking corrective action in the event of divergences from the schedule.
- Adherence to quality management within the engineering delivery process.
- Providing technical support to the Project Manager where requested.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- A degree/HND in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Chartered status desirable.
- Professional managerial experience with typically 10 years experience in the Transmission and Distribution Industry.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal presentation skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering standards applicable to the National Grid Industry, DNOs and Renewable Energy systems within the UK.
Siemens provides innovative solutions to help tackle the UK’s major challenges. Siemens has a significant presence throughout the UK, with 13 manufacturing sites and more than 25 major offices. Today the company employs over 13,760 people in the UK, including about 5,000 in the manufacturing sector. Last year’s revenues were £3.36 billion. Electrification, automation and digitalization are the long-term growth fields of Siemens. In order to take full advantage of the market potential in these fields, our businesses are bundled into nine divisions and healthcare as a separately managed business.
The Energy Management Division is one of the leading global suppliers of products, systems, solutions, and services for the economical, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. The portfolio includes facilities and systems for the low-voltage and distribution power grid level, smart grid solutions and high-voltage transmission systems.
Job ID: 92664
Organisation: Energy Management
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time