Engineering Internship (12 Months) - York
Siemens Mobility Limited is looking for an Engineering Intern based in the Mainline Rail Automation Department. This department has a client portfolio including Network Rail, Docklands Light Railway and London Underground, and projects including Crossrail, Qatar Education City, East Coast Main Line, Edinburgh Trams, Storebaelt and Interconnector.
As an engineering intern, you will have the opportunity to move across the various engineering departments at Siemens Rail Automation and this will provide you with key experiences which will ultimately help you make a well-informed decision about your future in engineering.
The 12-month intern programme will not only give you brilliant technical insight but will also provide you with the right soft skills to succeed within the business, through the Intern Development Programme (IDP). The IDP will enhance your skill set, and includes modules such as Business Influencing Awareness, Career Planning, and 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Siemens gives valuable opportunities to young people and has also been named as one of the UK’s leading graduate recruiters, within the top 60 of The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2017/18. Providing successful completion of the internship, you can be offered a graduate position to allow you to concentrate on your final year university work and may also be supplied with a final year project.
As a valued member of the team, this role will enable you to:
- Learn to capture detailed requirements, design, implement, test, install and maintain SCADA/PLC control and monitoring systems.
- Experience the project lifecycle of a Railway Telecoms project; working on variety of different tasks from Design right through to Installation, Test and Commissioning.
- Learn/improve your software knowledge and skills as you may be required to write, analyse, test and integrate various software systems and databases.
- Delve into the world of Networking. IP technology is becoming increasingly prevalent in today’s railway, with more and more projects moving towards this technology. You will be exposed to Network Design, as well as getting hands on with configuring and testing networks in our lab area.
- Work on real projects which may include Integrated Station Management, Passenger Information Systems, Remote Condition Monitoring systems, Operational and Retail Communications Systems.
- Develop excellent knowledge of technical standards and processes associated with the transport and process industries.
- Be a valued member within a team of Entry Level Talent (Apprentices/Interns/Graduates) to participate in the Business Improvement Project (BIP) Scheme. The scope of the project is to create and present a solution to management; this year’s theme was “The Future of SCADA”. It provides you with valuable team working and presentation skills.
- Be an ambassador for STEM through a multitude of volunteering opportunities, such as Greenpower, Big Bang Fair and much more.
What are my responsibilities?
- Support the engineering team delivering high quality technical and engineering solutions for large multi-disciplined projects for clients related to Control and Information systems, primarily in the rail sector.
- Technically understanding our customer requirements and then ensuring that solutions are designed and implemented in a methodical manner under the supervision of engineering personnel whilst utilising industry best practices.
- Ensure products or projects are delivered in accordance with Siemens safety and quality/testing procedures and meet all applicable legislation and project requirements.
- Utilise Root Cause Analysis processes when solving problems.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- You must be studying towards an Electrical, Electronics, Software, Systems or Computer Engineering degree, aiming for a 2:2 or above.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Ability to deal with technical issues and make timely, sound decisions with minimal consultation.
- Ability to develop a firm understanding and appreciation of system design, safety concepts and associated decision making within the relevant industries.
- An understanding of quantifying and managing technical risk when involved with project work.
- Appreciation of requirements management.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 348,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Job ID: 95289
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time