Infrastructure Engineer - Senior
Opening date: 7th January 2019
Are you ready to have your system support skills and experience leveraged to improve the productivity of developers working on world-class engineering software?
Senior systems support resource is needed to provide the necessary administration and support of virtualization, storage and related networking infrastructure. Position is based out of Siemens PLM Software Cambridge, UK office. Quality system support is crucial to providing a productive development environment to meet or exceed challenging project objectives.
Platform support includes Vmware virtualization, Windows and Storage (servers and related networking). The position involves performance based compensation and reports to an Infrastructure Engineering Manager who manages personnel at multiple sites.
- System administration, monitoring, upgrading, maintenance, installation, setup, configuration, testing and deployment of multi-cluster, multi-region vmware vcloud director instance that is mission critical for company.
- System administration, monitoring, upgrading, maintenance, installation, setup, configuration, testing and deployment of systems within Virtualization and Windows environments.
- Working with other groups to develop and ensure consistency of internal policies and procedures while maintaining security procedures at the site.
- Communicating clearly, both verbally and in writing, regarding issues and/or requirements, and being able to evaluate new technologies and methods are also required for this position.
- Ensure security hardening of systems and critical patches are being applied as necessary.
- As appropriate, participate in cross-site activities including process improvements, standards development, and other global projects.
- Provide consultation to development groups when related to infrastructure and technologies.
- Map VMware solutions to the customer’s unique business and technical requirements while functioning as an advisory resource for “Best Practices” and driving adoption of VMware solutions.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a computer-related field or equivalent experience in a computer environment
- Ability to perform system administration for VMWare, Windows, Storage, Networking environments with a combined experience of at least 10 years of directly applicable work history.
- Familiarity with defining, architecting, implementing and automating system processes
- Good communication skills and ability to work with multiple teams
- Excellent customer service attitude and ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Experience working in a multiple vendor platform environment
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software components and their interaction with operating system software, and excellent troubleshooting skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels.
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
Required Technical Skills:
- Extensive deep dive experience with vmware products such as ESXi, vCloud Director, vROps, vCenter, Log Insight, vshield manager, NSX, VRA and Horizon View
- Extensive experience into Graphics Virtualization based on vmware products and NVIDIA GPU’s
- Deep experience into programming languages and scripts such as WMI, PowerShell/PowerCLI, Batch scripting, REST API’s etc.
- Exposure to Networking around Cisco and Vmware NSX technologies. Deep dive NSX experience is a must. Strong networking knowledge to be able to troubleshoot virtualization problems involving multiple layers of virtual and physical networking.
- Deep drive experience with enterprise NAS and SAN products such as NetApp, Nimble, vSAN and CEPH S3 storage.
- Experience with DFS, WSUS, SCCM and clustering technologies/solutions
- Deep knowledge and experience about external security, firewalls, load balancers, certificates and web servers. Experience with NIST compliance, SAML Authentication, SSL, LDAP and Windows AD.
- Experience in defining vSphere security baselines, its implementation and compliance.
- Experience with implementing NIST security in VMware environment including vCloud Director and Horizon View environment.
- Experience in Source code management using Git/TFS or equivalent source code management to maintain scripts used at enterprise level.
- Some experience with Jenkins and ElectricFlow UIs to be able to extract information required for troubleshooting virtual infrastructure related issues.
- Basic knowledge of modern software development methodologies such as Continuous Integration and Deployment (CICD Pipeline), DevOps, Agile, Scrum and Kanban.
- Experience with VMware Orchestrator workflows for automated alert handling and GPU assignment.
- Experience with CIFS, NFS, iSCSI, S3 storage protocols and related setup/configuration.
- Experience with hardware’s such as servers, blade servers, blade chassis, blade switches, IO/Aggregators, switching components etc.
- Preliminary knowledge of AWS (Amazon Web Services) and basic infrastructure provisioning/management.
Siemens PLM Software is a leading provider of solutions for the design, simulation and manufacture of products across many different industries. Formula 1 cars, skyscrapers, ships, space exploration vehicles, and many of the objects we see in our daily lives are being conceived and manufactured using our Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software. Headquartered in Plano, Texas, Siemens PLM Software works collaboratively with companies to deliver open solutions to help them make smarter decisions that result in better products.
Siemens Industry Software is an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate unlawfully on the grounds of age, disability, gender assignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or trade union membership.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability as we will use this data to review your suitability for the role.
Competitive Salary and Benefits package on offer.
Job ID: 95710
Organisation: Digital Factory
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time