Power System Planning Consultant
Siemens PTI is the think tank of Siemens Energy Management Business Unit and provides thought leadership to our customers on long term development plan, power system planning, energy strategies, smart energy system and business model innovation to cope up with the energy transformation.
We are seeking dynamic and enthusiastic Power Systems Planning Consultants to perform grid simulation studies of electrical transmission / distribution systems for clients such as power producers, independent system operators, industries and transmission providers to develop solutions for safe and reliable power system operations.
Job responsibilities will include the following:
- Manage and deliver power system planning studies: the application of power systems planning principles, simulation and analysis of power system steady state and dynamic behaviour, development of mathematical models for reliability assessment of electrical networks.
- Undertake Generation (including Wind Farms), Industrial Load Connection Compliance studies and Power System Harmonic Studies
- Automating and Scripting work for the power system analysis tools (PSS®E & Sincal).
- Application and analysis of study results applied to basic system design and equipment specification
- Delivery of on-site technical consulting/training services.
- Undertake techno-economic studies to identify business cases for customers.
- Experience in using programs for the analysis and calculation of electrical power networks, such as PSS SINCAL, PSS NETOMAC, PSS E, PSASP, MATLAB or comparable tools.
- Assist the PTI Business Manager in the development of strategy, business targets and financial achievements
- To develop and maintain external customer relationships
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- University degree or higher in electrical engineering / power system.
- Post Graduate Degree / Phd will be considered towards experience.
- Passionate about sustainability, energy transition, smart autonomous grids and impacts of digitalization in the energy industry.
- Techno-economic studies to identify business cases for customers, conduct techno-economic evaluations of project proposals including good understanding of financial concepts.
- Knowhow in the UK / Ireland regulatory framework, Grid Codes and System Operation
- Knowhow in CIM and integration of Offline simulation packages to real time operating systems
- Programming skills in FORTRAN, C++ and Python
- Solid communication skills and ability to present findings clearly via reports and presentations is required.
- Has a proactive attitude towards leading initiatives, driving improvement and change management.
- Practical wisdom: challenge conventional wisdom, know when and where to improvise, try new things and learn from failure.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience in marketing and sales.
- Experience in team leadership.
- Successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above is required, where applicable.
- Strategic thinking.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 348,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them.
Our daily lives depend on a steady supply of affordable energy. Our Energy Management Division is committed to meeting this energy challenge through the supply of products, systems, solutions, and services for the economical, reliable, and intelligent transmission and distribution of electrical power. Siemens are constantly innovating and pushing the boundaries in how digitalisation is shaping the future of the energy industry; we need the best and brightest talent onboard to be able to support us on this journey.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role.
What else do I need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus and company car benefit. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you. In addition to this we offer 26 days holiday, up to 10% pension contribution match, an excellent company share scheme, employee discounts and a flexible benefits package to match your lifestyle needs.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it. Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Job ID: 96640
Organization: Energy Management
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Either